Sa

SSWRS © All Rights Reserved.                                       webmanager @sswrs.org.uk

Home. Layouts. Gallery. Exhibitions. News. Contacts. Home. Layouts. Gallery. Exhibitions. News. Contacts. Home

Salisbury & South Wilts Railway Society

Wylye was a small country station between Salisbury and Westbury. It was opened as a broad gauge line by the GWR in 1856. It was never a busy station. The goods traffic was mainly agricultural, except during WW2 when two extra sidings were needed to cope with traffic for the RAF storage depot in nearby Grovely Woods, where munitions were stored in the open under the trees. The station was closed in 1955. All that remains today is part of the base of the signal box.


The layout depicts the station as it was in 1950; a little run down, still in GWR colours but with a few signs of British Railways ownership.


The layout was designed as a ‘drop in’ section to fit the club test track, hence the anomalous trackwork outside the scenified area. The layout was built to try out different methods of track building, thus there is a mixture of copper clad and wooden sleepers with C & L chairs.



For further information for exhibition managers click here


Click here

for further

photographs

of this layout